Governor visits Albany on second official regional visit
From Wednesday 7th November to Thursday 8th November the Governor visited Albany as part of the Regional Visit Program.
This was the Governor’s second regional visit following a four day visit to the East Kimberley in August.
During the Albany visit, the Governor met with community representatives from some of the area’s key projects and initiatives.
The Governor was particularly pleased to be in Albany to commemorate 100 years since the end of World War I at an event attended by 2,000 school students from 26 schools across the Great Southern region. The event began with a Remembrance Day parade down York Street before students and community members assembled in the Anzac Peace Park for a memorial service and a Bell and Cross Ceremony.
Speaking to the students, the Governor remarked that they were keeping the promise that our State made 100 years ago to never forget the sacrifices made for our freedom by the men and women who died in the Great War. Listen to the Governor’s speech in full at the link below.
In an interview with ABC Great Southern, the Governor further reflected on the importance of this year’s Remembrance Day for young people living in Albany,
“Albany has become iconic as we have reflected more and more on the legacy. I think it’s a really good thing to be a kid here in Albany today because the memory that goes with a 100 year commemoration is special, it’s an event in itself. For the rest of their lives they will have that in their collective stories. It’s a privilege to be part of it.”
Governor’s speech at the Combined Schools Centenary Commemoration of Armistice event at Anzac Peace Park – Albany Advertiser Facebook
Ceremony honours war heroes – The West Australian, Tuesday 13th November 2018
Governor to pay tribute to Anzac roles in war – Albany Advertiser, Thursday 8th November 2018
Wednesday, 7th November 2018
- University of Western Australia, Albany Campus
- Briefing on operations including the Wave Energy Research Centre and Centre of Excellence in Natural Resource Management
- Visit to Stirling Terrace Student Accommodation
- Tour of facilities at Albany Shellfish Hatchery
- Afternoon Tea with local government and community representatives
- Brief tour of Albany Entertainment Centre, followed by a Dinner hosted by Great Southern Development Commission Chairman
- Visit to Field of Lights: Avenue of Honour
Thursday, 8th November 2018
- Combined Schools Centenary Commemoration of Armistice at Anzac Peace Park
- Tour of the National Anzac Centre