Her Excellency’s first official visit overseas
On Monday 5 June 2017, Her Excellency the Honourable Kerry Sanderson, AC, Governor of WA, commenced her first official visit to the UK, Italy and Spain.
During the trip, the Governor met with government, university and industry representatives and held a private audience with Australia’s Head of State, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace.
In each Governor’s term, an official visit to the UK is organised so the Governor can make a customary call upon Her Majesty The Queen, whom the Governor represents as Head of State in Western Australia. Audiences are usually a private affair between the visitor and the Queen, and allow Her Majesty to maintain close ties with officials from Commonwealth nations, and across the world.
Her Excellency met with university representatives to explore more opportunities for greater potential collaboration between UK and Australian universities.
As well as meeting with Her Majesty The Queen, the Governor carried out the following activities while in the UK:
- Met with the Agent General for Western Australia Mr John Atkins
- Delivered an address at the annual Western Australia Day Service at the Queens Chapel of the Savoy
- Met with the President and Provost of University College London
- Attended a luncheon at the City of London Corporation
- Met with the President of Imperial College London
- Visited BAE Systems London
- Met with the President and Principal of King’s College London
- Attended an event at the Australian High Commission to celebrate the gift of 15 Western Australian boab sculptures from Wesfarmers to be displayed at Australia House, London.
In Italy, the Governor met with representatives from multinational shipbuilding company Fincantieri in Rome.
In Spain, the Governor met with Australian Ambassador to Spain His Excellency Mr Timothy Kane. The Governor also met with representatives from technology company, Navantia Spain.